It’s not hard to find basic information about varicose veins. Many people understand that bulging bluish leg veins are embarrassing and can lead to some bothersome side effects. But there is more to varicose veins than meets the eye.
Here we share 5 little known facts about varicose veins in Nashville:
- Wearing compression hose won’t make your varicose veins go away. However, they can help boost the circulation in your legs and ankles by gently squeezing the muscles and veins.
- Women aren’t the only people who get varicose veins. Men get them too! Although they occur slightly more frequently in women due to hormones and pregnancies, Nashville vein specialists estimate that around 30% of men develop problem veins too.
- While you may believe that varicose veins are exclusive to the legs and ankles, they can appear in other places. Hemorrhoids are a type of varicose vein that develop in or around the anus.
- Men can suffer from a particular type of varicose vein called a varicocele. As many as 75% of all men develop these varicosities, which occur in the left testicle. Although most instances of varicose veins can’t be prevented, diet and exercise can keep your veins healthy. And warm baths and supportive briefs can give some comfort for varicocele discomfort.
- Certain foods can make varicose veins worse. Diets high in processed, sugary and salty foods can damage your veins. Eating lots of fiber and monitoring sodium can help.
If you currently suffer from varicose veins, there are many treatment options available at our center. Dr. Tif Siragusa and the Siragusa Vein and Laser Center experts at our vein center in Nashville are dedicated to treating diseased veins in Nashville such as varicose and spider veins and DVT. Contact us now at 615-777-0744 to schedule a consultation.