There are numerous ways to prevent and treat varicose veins, ranging from surgical intervention to unproven herbs and expensive oils. Before resorting to irritating prescription creams – which aren’t always effective – or vein laser surgery – which some people view as a last-resort option – it may be wise to try natural therapies for treating varicose veins in Nashville first to improve the appearance of unsightly veins.
Natural ways Nashville patients can treat varicose veins
Varicose veins are often a sign of underlying venous insufficiency, a type of vein disease that affects hundreds of thousands of people. If you visit a vein expert in Nashville to discuss treatment options for mild to moderate forms of vein disease, it’s common to encourage lifestyle changes before considering surgery.
Following are 5 natural treatments for varicose veins:
- Exercise. Regular physical activity is among the top ways to prevent vein disease and maintain health throughout life. If you don’t have time to work out, sneak in some extra steps during the day by taking the stairs, parking further away from the building, and walk or bike whenever possible.
- Lose weight or maintain a healthy body weight. Carrying around extra weight is unhealthy in any number of ways, and being overweight or obese is one of the primary risk factors for developing vein disease by putting stress on the veins.
- Essential oils. This one is not proven to help treat vein disease, but certain essential oils such as cypress oil have been proven to ease inflammation which may ease strain on your veins as well. If nothing else, it may be relaxing!
- Diet. Eating a low-salt diet, high in fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins is essential for maintaining healthy veins and good overall health. These foods are rich in anti-oxidants, fiber and other healthful nutrients.
- Herbs. Bilberry and horse chestnut are two herbs that have been studied and might help ease vein disease symptoms such as cramps, pain and swelling. If you want to try herbal remedies, always talk to your doctor or pharmacist first to make sure it’s safe and appropriate for you.
For more tips or to schedule an appointment at our vein center in Nashville, call us at 615-777-0744. You’ll be glad you did!